Decorated Miami cop accused of false imprisonment and fondling a woman
By Charles Rabin
A decorated Miami police officer was arrested Wednesday, more than a year after a woman complained that he ordered her into his patrol car while he was off duty but in uniform, then kissed her on the mouth and fondled her breasts without her permission.
Patrol officer Alexi Figueroa — who in 2013 received one of the state’s highest honors for a law enforcement officer — was charged with false imprisonment and two counts of simple battery. He was booked into the Turner Guilford Knight correctional center and his bond was set at $22,000.
Figueroa, 27, was arrested by Miami-Dade Police Wednesday because the alleged incident took place outside the City of Miami. Miami Police are conducting an internal affairs investigation into the officer’s actions that won’t be concluded until Figueroa’s legal case plays out.
He has been on paid leave since February 2016. Almost immediately after the arrest, Figueroa’s union representative promised he would be cleared.
“The FOP is currently representing Officer Figueroa and he is looking forward to his day in court to be exonerated of these charges,” said Miami Fraternal Order of Police President Javier Ortiz.
Miami-Dade Police weren’t commenting on the arrest and the City of Miami released a one-paragraph statement saying Figueroa would remain relieved of duty “until the conclusion of the court case and our own internal investigation.”
Figueroa’s attorney Robert Buschel said he wasn’t willing to fight the arrest warrant’s claims in print, but that he feels they’re ready for trial.
“We’ve known about this investigation for some time,” Buschel said. “We’re prepared for our day in court. We believe he’s innocent of the charges and we’re looking forward to a jury trial.”
Figueroa, who joined the department in 2012, was awarded the Medal of Heroism by Florida Gov. Rick Scott at an elaborate ceremony in 2013 for apprehending a gunman who was firing a gun at a supermarket. Figueroa was off duty that day and had gone shopping with his family.
According to his arrest warrant, Figueroa, who worked patrol in the Model City neighborhood, had just left his shift the night of Jan. 26, 2016, when he approached a woman walking near Northwest 80th Street and Seventh Avenue. The 19-year-old woman, who isn’t named in the warrant, told police she went to the store to get toilet paper.
She said that after a brief conversation, Figueroa circled his vehicle around and ordered her into his car. When she got in the front passenger seat, she told police Figueroa began talking to her “inappropriately”, then kissed and fondled her.
That’s when, she said, she ran home and told her mother. The next day she contacted Miami’s Internal Affairs division. There, officers, according to the warrant, showed her a picture of several men and asked her identify Figueroa.
She pointed him out. It wasn’t him. Figueroa wasn’t among the men pictured by police.
Still, detectives continued to investigate the woman’s claim, the warrant said —even opining that “the officer who was identified by the victim does bear a resemblance to the defendant.”
Police later found video surveillance that placed a police car at the exact location where the woman claimed the incident took place and at the same time. The video also clearly showed the patrol car’s number — which matched the car taken home by Figueroa that night with information in police logs.
The woman said while she was home the day after the alleged incident, her mother’s cellphone rang. The woman told police she picked it up and immediately recognized the voice on the other end.
The woman told police she did not give Figueroa her cellphone number.
“The victim immediately hung up in terror,” the warrant says. “The victim thereafter moved from the neighborhood in which she had been living due to her fear of retaliation by the defendant.”
- Man leads police on chase, bails out and gets fatally hit by a car
- Don’t demolish historic Grove Playhouse auditorium, neighbors say in appeal
- 14 victims shot (7 dead) in 7 separate incidents in 5 days in Miami-Dade
- The rise and fall of the mall (Omni) that changed Miami
- Hyatt, Miami in talks to rebuild Miami River hotel and convention center site
- Photos of Miami Beach Cops Asleep on Job Spark Investigation
- Internal affairs investigates Miami Police Sgt for Pembroke Pines incident
- Miami officer hospitalized after man attacks him in Brickell
- 2 Miami New Times articles
- Woman’s request for restraining order against FOP president rejected
- Miami Police Wash the Feet of the Homeless on Good Friday
- Tables turn on cop wannabe who pulls over wrong guy: A real cop in full uniform
- Former Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Alvarez helped victims after Coral Gables gym shooting
- North Miami cop charged in shooting of autistic man’s unarmed therapist
- South Fla police honor Delray Beach police officer killed in crash
- Former Miami Police officer officially charged with stealing from drivers he stopped
- Miami Gardens names Delma K. Noel-Pratt as its first female police chief
- Garbage truck driver honored for saving Miami-Dade police officer's life
- Miami-Dade police detectives were ambushed and shot in their unmarked vehicle
- 2 undercover MDPD officers shot in NW Miami-Dade, in stable condition
- Man convicted in the killing of Coral Gables officer in 1972 gets new sentencing hearing
- Miami About to Pay $250,000 to Black Cop Who Claimed Racial Discrimination
- FHP trooper struck by vehicle and critically injured on the Dolphin Expressway
- Investigators watched Miami cop steal cash from undercover agent, police say
- Miami ponders fallout of high court ruling on police pay cuts
- Miami Police Still Aren't Wearing Their Body Cameras
- Miami cop implicated in unsolved murder fighting to get job back
- City of Miami to decriminalize marijuana possession
- No more ‘gun-free zones’ in Florida? Lawmakers float plan to end them
- Regalado: City of Miami ‘will not comply’ with ‘sanctuary city’ order
- Miami takes step toward replacing moldy police headquarters
- Miami-Dade mayor orders jails to comply with Trump crackdown on ‘sanctuary’ counties
- Miami Police turn investigation of missing guns over to state
- Miami Police motorcycle officer killed in multi-car crash in southwest Miami-Dade
- Retired Miami Police Officer Testifies in Whitey Bulger Trial
- S. Fla. officers killed in the line of duty since 1974